Wednesday 3 April 2013

ANTIQUE CHEESE BOX / TUTORIAL







            For many years we have loved browsing the antique stores,
                     flea markets and yard sales.....

Well one day while driving out west we stopped at a antique store
on Lake Superior near Wawa... This is going back some 30 years.
We were on our way to Manitoba to visit my sister at their cattle ranch. Also to bring back my husbands first love. A 1949 Meteor.







                    There it was this cute cheese box.
                     Pasteurized Process Cheese 5 lbs.
                Beatrice Creamery Company  CHICAGO

      So where am I going with this you ask..........

I love this cute box and I have used it to display many items.

Well....... I had space that was not being used on the top shelf of my          WHITE WEATHERED HUTCH........

Up went the cheese box...it looked lost...too small......

so...... the next best thing for me to do.........

                  Make one...........

I put Mr.WWH to work, gave him my measurements, and 
within a few minutes  TA DA!!  

            Measures 24" x 3 1/2"
                   Perfect!

This cute box is made of pine.
Mr. WWH planed the 3/4" pine down to 1/4" thick.

First I wanted to stain the pine.....
I used red oak........






Next wipe down the box with a soft cloth while the stain is still wet.



Once dry it's time to paint...............

Now I chose this green that I had on hand..........





Just using a small brush I applied a thin coat.

Paint the outside only....


Time to get out your stencils..............






I used a brown craft paint and stenciled on the letters 

                       MARKET

Now it's time to give it an antiquing..........





Sand paper and a little elbow grease...........

Sand till you get the effect that you want........






Looking good!!
That's all there is too it..............




I filled mine with hydrangeas for now...........
But there are so many other uses for a box this size.......

Hmmmm!!!!  What will I use it for next....







                                    Thanks for Visiting!
                                             Linda

I'm Linking up with:
Get Schooled Sat. 
 I should be mopping the floor
The Dedicated House
Coastal Charm
It's So Very Cheri 
Creative Cain Cabin
Shabby Art Boutique
No Minimalist Here
Alderberry Hill 
 Between Naps on the Porch Met Monday
Debbiedoo's 
 My Romantic Home
It's Overflowing 
French Country Cottage
From My Front Porch To Yours 
The Farmhouse Porch
The Shabby Nest
A Shabby Art Boutique
Be Different Act Normal
Savvy Southern Style 
StoneGable Tutorial and Tidbits 
DIY by Design
Miss Mustard Seed 
Common Ground
Katherines Corner
The Charm of Home 
Under The Table and Dreaming 
Funky Junk Interiors.
Get Schooled Saturday 
Cedar Hill Ranch 
Home Stories A to Z 
Made in a day

23 comments:

  1. Good Morning Linda, Wow, you make it all sound so very easy. I love how you stained your box then painted a thin layer of paint over the stain...it looks wonderful....and you will be able to change the contents with the seasons.....fabulous.
    Have a lovely day, I hope Spring is heading your way.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is wonderful and looks fantastic. I wish I could make one too. Thank you for the tutorial! I love it upon your hutch! Beautiful.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE love it! What a pretty colour it turned out to be. Did you see the one that Anita of Far Above Rubies has made? She uses hers on her dining table for all seasons and occasions. They are so practical! I have some greyed barn wood that I'd like hubby to build a box for me this summer. (it's stuck in the back of the shed for now). Your Mr. did a nice job making yours and you did a great job finishing it! It looks pretty with the hydrangeas. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love it! It's the perfect thing for atop your hutch! That hubby of yours is one handy guy to have around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, it looks beautiful. I have a box I could use, uhmmmmmmm maybe I will just do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how that turned out. The green color you used is pretty. I also really love that old cheese box you got so long ago. Where did that end up?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really, really love your faux cheese box. It's such a great idea to make one in the dimensions that look best on your hutch. If only I were good at woodworking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it looks lovely ! Papa and I love going to the antique shops we have here . I have often told Papa we need a bigger house for our antique collectables lol ! Thanks for sharing with us ! It is cold and windy here with sunshine popping in and out and with the odd snow squall . Where oh where is spring ?! Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My Linda, that is just adorable and it looks so pretty on top of your hutch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! I love the way you left the letters the natural wood. I am your newest follower. I'd love it if you would share this at "What We Accomplished Wednesday," at Green

    Willow Pond. It is live right now. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Linda!!!
    And you found the perfect spot for it - although it would look gorgeous as a centerpiece on a dining room table too!!!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it, Linda. And I think the green works so much better than the dark brown of the original. I have had a few cheese boxes in my antiques booth and they always sell quickly. Why oh why have I not kept one for myself? Duh!! Blonde moment there, I guess.

    I have a wine box that is similar in style that I use on my kitchen table as a centerpiece always filled with seasonal flowers - right now it has pots of tulips and daffodils. You could use yours that way too.

    Did you get all that snow yesterday? Friends of ours in Barrie got 6"!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving the painted look, it is great with your hydrangeas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the patina you created for the box and it looks great on the hutch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your new box! And I love the staining, painting, stenciling & antiquing you did...perfect result!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your little box. I just painted several caddies and I think I might copy your MARKET lettering on one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so pretty. I love how long the box is and I love the hydrangeas in it. Such a great piece and the color is perfect. Thanks for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! Love the color and the stenciling work. Come link up to centerpiece Wednesday and share this post http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/04/centerpiece-wednesday-and-wrap-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your new box. I only have one cheese box left. Somehow I gave the others away.
    What was I thinking. It looks great on your hutch.
    Have a great week,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love what you did with the cheese box! And the hydrangeas look beautiful in it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. it looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite things hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's just perfect now, love the new color. Thanks for sharing at the Cabin:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. gorgeous soft color, gotta love a husband who will make you a cheesebox!!

    ReplyDelete