Tuesday 21 October 2014

working in my studio


                           Come on in!









                      If I have been missing for awhile it's because I'm in my studio
                                      the sewing machine is humming.......

                  
                   My grand daughter asked Nana if she could please make her a costume
                                       for Halloween......

                        So off to our local Fabricland and I purchased 3 meters of broadcloth
                                                    in blue......






                                       Any ideas of what I'm making........


                                     If you guessed Elsa in Frozen you are wrong......


                                     I'm making an Alice In Wonderland dress.......


                            No pattern ....but I have been sewing for many years and figured I
                                                     could wing it.......

                                        Made a template for the bodice......
                                               cut out the front and two backs...... ..


                                    The bottom or the skirt I cut on the bias to make it full...

                                    next a template for the sleeves.......had to make
                                        sure that  they would be full.......and would fit into the armholes on
                                                          the bodice.......

                                             Oh yes the collar.......drew out a peter pan collar ...
                                                           and cut 4 ...............

                                                   Then came the facings for the neck.......


                                                              This completes the dress cuttings.......

                                                            So the sewing began......

                                    Front to back at the sides.......






                                           the collar pieces sewn on........then the neck facings.......

                                                      Gathered the upper edges of the sleeves and then they

                                                                  were sewn on.........

                                                        Look it's starting to come together.......
                              
                                               




Then I gathered the waist on the skirt and attached it..............


                                     Now the apron....that was a little tricky since I wanted to make
                                                                   it an exact replica of Alice.....






Alice in Wonderland Alice so off to the drawing board and make a template



All the pictures that I have seen her long hair covers the back ........ but I'm guessing it looks
                                         like this.......


cut two and sew together.......turn inside out and here is how it looks......





next I cut out two skirts on an angle .............

                                                            pinned them to the bib ..........

                                                  cut out the ties ......sewed some more.......

                                   Added elastic to the sleeves ........

                                                   Went for a few fittings........

                                            here's how it looks so far........






                     All pinned and ready for hemming........still to add a few finishing touches.........


                                                               Then I will reveal
                                                   Alice In Wonderland 2014.........

                              
                              It's raining here today ....so this gives me a great opportunity
                                                  to tackle my studio........clean up......


                                                 Thanks for stopping by! Love hearing from you!

                                                                    Linda


Linking with :
A Stroll Thru Life
Savvy Southern Style

11 comments:

  1. I'm sure your Granddaughter is going to love wearing your creation. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never fail to amaze me!!
    Beautiful job.... Miss A. will look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful outfit and kudos to you for 'winging' it without a pattern. You sound just like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this and am sure she does, too. :)
    My mom was like you...a lot of things, she made her own patterns. so talented..and I didn't get a bit of it.:(
    Gotta read some more of your posts and try to get half way caught up. :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well aren't you the most clever seamstress!!! I love it. It looks just like the one from the story. Your granddaughter is going to be adorable with her custom made costume.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda...you are a genius!!!
    Great job...who would have thought a young lady would want to be Alice?
    That brings a smile to my face...in this day and age.
    Enjoy your week...have a rest!! hahaha!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a cute Alice! What a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're amazing!! That is perfect. And with her long blonde hair, your granddaughter really looks like Alice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks! Can't wait to see her in it on Halloween!

      Delete
  10. SO *cute* We'll be at the beach on Halloween, so I'm dressing like a tacky tourist! ;P

    I wish I could sew!!!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete