Saturday 11 February 2012

PILLOWS AND A TUTORIAL

                         Pillows, I LOVE PILLOWS.

                                   You can never have too many.
                 I have been busy in my studio sewing, sewing and painting....

                            Painting, you say..
            Yes painting. I purchased some Osnaburg fabric
    and knew  immediately what I was going to create.
                  Why not replicate an grainsack.


           I started out with a 16x 27 lumbar pillow.

                        You will need the following;

I cut a piece of fabric larger than I needed. 20x32
tape, I used painters 1" tape.
craft paint (colonial red) watered down
paint brush (or stencil brush)
sewing machine, thread.
Now for some prep work.

Find the middle of the fabric.
I marked mine off with a pencil and a ruler.
measure 1 in. from the centre line out both ways.
draw lines straight across your fabric.
place your tape on the outside of the lines
your painted area should be 2 in.
measure 1 in on either side of the 2 in center.

tape it off the same
paint 1 in lines
.see picture...

Once this is dry IRON WITH A DRY IRON. This will set the paint.
Sew right sides together Along the length of your fabric..
Measure your fabric to the size of your finished pillow, and add for 2" for finishing
off your seams.
Mine measured 16 1/2 x 32
trim off excess and turn under edges. see photo.
Now make your ties. You will need 8 in total. Mine are cut at 2" press in half and then bring outer edges to the fold and stitch close to the edge.
Centre the ties and sew on.


There you have it.  I hope you will make one as well.
until next time,
LINDA

Go to my side bar and join

I'm linking up this week with these lovely hosts,
won't you drop by;

Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Becolorful Motivated MONDAY 
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Beth at The Stories of A2Z for
Tutorials and Tips Tuesday
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at DIY by Design for the Winter Blues Party
 Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
Debra at Common Ground Vintage Friday
Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Honey at 2805 for Potpourri Friday

Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday

26 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,
    What a great idea...love the three stripes!
    It looks very chic and the ties are a perfect closure too!
    Your sewing studio looks nice and bright!
    Great tutorial, Thanks for sharing!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I love the effect the ties give... a country, cottage look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial and great pillow. The country red strips and the ties to close the end are a perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never ceased to get amazed at the wonderful talented people I meet on these blogs!! What beautiful pillows and so creative. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well done and the ties are a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I am totally going to make myself some. I am going to pin this on my pinterest too!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific idea! Love this look. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda, you pillow looks great! I love your little Singer sewing machine. Happy Valentine's Day, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such an awesome pillow. You did a great job with the tutorial. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda! Thank you so much for visiting me and leaving such a kind comment! I love your pillow...you did a fantastic job! The red stripes are just perfect! Hope your week is going great! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found you at Someday Crafts. Love your pillow! This technique would be great to make shams to match bedding. I'm following via linky follower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pillow is beautiful. Wonderful tutorial.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Following you on Linky ;)

    Loved the hutch & that pillow! I would love for you to share this over at my blog party.

    http://www.threemangoseeds.blogspot.com/2012/02/features-do-it-ya-self-monday-link_14.html

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely!! And, I'm Linking Up with Linky. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Job...I think we may have had a simliar inspiration! Here is mine http://thecre8tiveoutlet.blogspot.com/2011/02/another-pb-knock-offtutorial.html
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love pillows, too and love this one you made. Followed you on Linky. Thanks for joining Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome pillows - thanks for the tute! I would love to have you stop over to link this up - I am hosting my first linky party today! Please come by!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love everything about his project ... the painted stripes ... the ties! So cute. I'll be pinning!

    Linda
    http://itallstartedwithpaint.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your "vintage" pillow! Thanks for sharing at Potpourri Friday! I am following via linky and hope you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What fun your pillows are! I love the bright pop of red! Thanks for all the inspiration.

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saw something like this on a decorating show this morning and now here from you. I'm definitely going to have to give this a whirl. Thank you for linking this to BeColorful
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is wonderful!!! thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So charming! I love your sweet pillow! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great tutorial!!! :) Love that pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great looking pillow and tutorial. Love the bold red stripes.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete