Tuesday 26 April 2016

Let's talk Succulents !


Hello friends!

On another wet dreary day here in central Ontario I finding myself wanting
to get down right dirty.......hands that is....Can't wait to dig in the soil ....

So to my surprise my DIL last Saturday,  took me to a Succulent Workshop!

                                 Here at the Mint Floral Co.












I thought oh how exciting...I can get my hands dirty.....

For you gardeners out there you KNOW what I'm talking about...don't you!!


So we arrived for the 11:00 am workshop and were lined up at a table with 12 other
ladies and in front of us we had a wooden box, soil, and one succulent .

That one succulent was the centre of the arrangement. From there we chose other
succulents that would compliment the other.

Inside the box was a plastic tray.

- first we added enough soil to reach the top of the wooden box , making sure we tapped
 the box on the table to distribute the soil.

- next came the centre piece.....

- then we continued to add and change and add till we were satisfied with the look we were
trying to achieve.


- some that would eventually cascade over the sides were placed at the corners.

Did you know that succulents are an easy plant to grow?

Some have found them easy outside to grow but when it came to inside their's died.

                                    OVER WATERING!!

These little gems like the light and only require watering when the soil becomes dry.

                            Remember they are a dessert plant!



These are our two containers planted up and ready to watch them flourish and grow.

They will take over the box when mature and the ones on the edges will cascade down.


                     While we were there I happened to notice these octopus looking plants.

                                     They were kinda grey with a touch of red.

I thought they were a faux plant but to my surprise they were AIR PLANTS!

                         Well I never!!

                        I found a keeper and brought it home.



                                                      Look closer you'll see it's flowering!


            If you are in the area drop by Mint Floral Co. you'll be in for a real treat!
                                             


                                              Thanks for following along friends
                                                   and have an amazing week!



                                                       

Sharing with :

5 comments:

  1. HI Linda...
    I love succulents! I bring mine indoors for the Winter...
    They look great in that wooden box....and I love your curly hair!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I water my succulents about once a month....My Jade plant does so much better when I neglect it....love your air plant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! I am in Florida and have some succulents in my gardens....don't ask me the names of them because I gave no idea. They are strange though, they have a certain way of multiplying, a bigger leave on the bottom will grow a baby and then it just roots itself in the soil and grows and eventually the big leave will die. Air plants also grow here I have a huge one in my Hibiscus tree. Love the idea of a box garden, thank you for the inspiration! Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I love these types of workshops!!! And to sepnd it with your DIL - how special! I didn't know about Mint Floral - was thrilled to see it was in Whitby. Don't you love how easy it is to plant up a gorgeous box of succulents? I have a sweet shell shaped planter that is filled with succulents - and they are perennial, so all I do is bring it out of the garage every spring and tidy it up a bit.
    Would love for you to share this on Dishing It & Digging It

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!! Succulents are favorites for so many people and this would be a great housewarming gift or Mother's Day gift too! So glad you shared it this week at Dishing It! & Digging It!

    ReplyDelete